I made up my mind to be firm. So I just sent my solar installer an e-mail…
Subject : Problems with installation at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Re: Contract for a solar photovoltaic system at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On 22nd July 2011, I completed paying you a deposit of £ 2,980.78 on a solar photovoltaic system. You set an installation date of 25th August 2011, and demanded a second instalment of £ 5,216.37, which I paid on 5th August 2011. You are in possession of £ 8,197.15 of my money.
However, despite this fact, and despite having rebooked my installation date for 13th September 2011, it is now 1st November 2011, and I still do not have a solar photovoltaic generating system installed on my roof.
I don’t know of any other business where people are asked to put down this kind of money so far in advance of receiving the actual goods. I understand that there have been problems with sourcing the components of the solar system design we agreed on, and I have been patient, not wishing to ruin your supply chain finances. However, I am now no longer patient, and I will no longer accept delays.
Having missed all the benefits of solar power during the summer, I now find that the UK Government has decided to pull the rug out from underneath the home solar industry on 12th December 2011, and that I am at risk of missing all the benefits of the full rate Feed in Tariff, as outlined in our contract of July. I would be happy to agree with you an alternative solar system design from parts you can more easily get hold of, if it means that you can help me meet the full feed-in-tariff deadline.
You have asked me to accept an installation date of 18th November 2011. I need you to know that if I do not have a working solar system of an appropriate design for the Feed in Tariff on my roof by the close of business on 18th November 2011, and I do not have a green MCS certificate in my hand from you, and the intaller certificates on that same date, I shall consider you to be in breach of our contract, and I shall be demanding the return of my deposit and second instalment, in full, to be in my bank account by 21st November 2011.
A copy of this letter will be sent to my democratic representative.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
I received an Out of Office e-mail reply, so I immediately phoned the office to see if anybody was actually still in work.
The helpful office manager said, “Is that Jo ? Your parts will be delivered on Wednesday”. “But”, I said, “the engineer told me that the parts would be delivered today, Tuesday. That’s already another delay…”
And then I heard those ominous words. “Sorry. Can we call you back later ? We’re all just about to go into a meeting…”