Sceptics Have Infected The GuardianPosted on January 7th, 2010 No comments
It looks like The Guardian newspaper has been infected with Global Warming scepticism.
I thought the paper was supposed to have some decent editorial process on Science ! But, sadly, clearly, not.
Here are the main problems with the article :-
1. The author does not understand the processes that govern the accumulation of Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere.
2. The author appears to have no knowledge of how the Earth system as a whole regulated Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere in the distant past within certain limits of extent.
3. The author does not recognise that the current level of Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere is much higher than in the distant past. Neither does he offer any explanation for why the level should have strayed outside the long-term boundaries.
4. The author accepts that periods of Earth History with more Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere were warmer than periods with less Carbon Dioxide, but fails to offer a possible mechanism that could draw down Carbon Dioxide from the Atmosphere now to the regulated boundaries of the distant past.
5. The author does not appear to appreciate that the Younger Dryas cooling event was almost certainly entirely unrelated to Carbon Dioxide levels in the Atmosphere.
6. The author does not appear to appreciate that the Younger Dryas cooling event was not global in scope. Or rather, although there are records of effects almost universally, the effects were not the same everywhere.
7. The author does not recount the extreme warming that ended the Younger Dryas event.
Which is what you would expect, since the main cause of the Younger Dryas event was not the level of Carbon Dioxide in the Atmosphere; and naturally, the levels of Carbon Dioxide still in the Atmosphere caused the temperatures to return to where they were prior to the Younger Dryas cooling event.
The author of the article appears to be a software engineer with an education in biological sciences. I doubt he has ever taken a course in Global Warming Science. I suggest he should. It’s all online if he wants it. Here are David Archer’s lecture videos from the University of Chicago :-Bad Science, Climate Change, Non-Science Carbon Dioxide, Climate Change, CO2, denial, denier, Earth history, Earth system, Global Warming, sceptic, skeptic, Younger Dryas
Leave a reply